Friday, July 8, 2011

Cupcakes That Take The Cake


Everyone has a favorite kind of cake, right? What's yours? Mine has always been Chocolate, but recently I have converted to Red Velvet. 

Maybe it's the moist, light, fluffy texture with just a hint of chocolate flavor. Or maybe it's the cream cheese frosting. 

The awesome, makeadoublebatchjusttoeatalone frosting. 

Yeah, I think that's it. I have made cream cheese frosting before, but this variation I came up with takes the cake. :)

It is super creamy, delightfully rich, very cream cheesy, and not too sweet. It's perfection. Just try it, you'll see.

Ingredients

  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour 
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 cups vegetable oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 Tbs red food coloring
  • 1 tsp vanilla 

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:

  • 1 pound cream cheese, softened
  • 1 1/4 cup butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 3 cups sifted confectioners' sugar 

  • Directions
  • Mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, and cocoa powder in a bowl and set aside. In a mixer gently beat together the oil, buttermilk, eggs, food coloring, and vanilla. Add the sifted dry ingredients to the wet and mix until smooth.
Divide the batter evenly among 2 lined cupcake tins. Bake in oven at 350 for about 22ish minutes. Test the cupcakes with a toothpick, be sure not to over bake. Cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
Beat the cream cheese, butter and vanilla together until smooth. Add the sugar (use more or less according to your taste - I don't like overly sweet frosting) and mix until light and creamy.

Of course, as delicious as these would be as is, I couldn't stop there! I did say they were Red Velvet with a Twist after all! I made 2 variations, both of which were fantastic! 

Make these for your next party. Or make them because it's the weekend! Red Velvet just might become your new favorite too!

And just in case you're wondering how huge I am at 6 1/2 months pregnant with these 2 boys, here I am!!

Happy weekend all!

Pin It!

27 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, first of all, you look great for being 6 1/2 months prego with twins!!! These cupcakes look amazing! Visiting and now following via You Like Me hop...hop on over to mine and follow back if you like... http://mom4realky.blogspot.com

Jessica K

Kirsten @ Mushki Loves said...

These look so good! I am pinning it! I am a new follower and would love it if you followed back! Thanks! Have a super weekend!

Delaney said...

Yum! Cupcakes are my favorite!
http://sweetteaserendipity.blogspot.com

Jenn said...

Red Velvet is my weakness!!

Mrs. Lukie said...

I'm just not a cake (or cupcake) gal...but I love me some ice cream cake ;)

And...you look AMAZING! I only wish I was as small & cute as you are at 6.5 months. I seem to be blowing up :-/

Ladybird Ln said...

Oh, these look just delicious, I need to try a red velvet recipe! And you look fantastic, congratulations! Thanks for showing off!

Carlee
www.ladybirdln.com

♥ Noelle ♥ said...

those cuppies look amazing! and its so wonderful to see your belly grow:) im so happy for you guys ♥

Alexandra said...

Your cupcakes look delicious! Please share your fabulous recipe by linking it up at Muffin and Cupcake Monday. Thanks!http://www.talkingdollarsandcents.net/muffin-monday-whole-wheat-muffins

Alexandra said...

Thanks so much for linking up your scrumptious recipe at Muffin an Cupcake Monday! I will be trying these soon!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

These look delicious and you look amazing!

Chef in Training said...

YUM! these look great! I found your blog through a link party and LOVE it! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would check out my blog and follow me too! Thanks!
-Nikki
http://chef-n-training.blogspot.com/

annies home said...

these sound awesome come see wha I shared
http://shopannies.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This looks good. I'd love it if you came by Cast Party Wednesday and shared some recipe with us.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!
http://www.ladybehindthecurtain.com/

jess@balancing the dream said...

i would have never known you were carrying twins!! you look amazing!! and as for your cupcakes..uhh...YUMMMM!!! i need to try this recipe! thanks for sharing!

Katie @ This Chick Cooks said...

Those cupcakes sound so yummy! I'd love for you to come by and show off your recipe at These Chicks Cooked Recipe Spotlight today. Have a blessed day :)
Katie

Handy Man, Crafty Woman said...

Yummy! And Best Wishes on the Twins! Thank you for linking to Handy Man, Crafty Woman Wicked Awesome Wednesday!

Free Pretty Things For You said...

mmmmm! I cant wait to make them!!!!! :)
Than you for linking!

Desi said...

Girl you are still tiny! You are beautiful pregnant! Now on to these cupcakes... I think I just died. In a good way. I love red velvet, and I have never seen this twist on it with adding the choc ganache filling. I also wanted to invite you over to my cookbook giveaway that is going on right now until July 16th. Stop on by to enter! Hope you are having a great week :)

http://steaknpotatoeskindagurl.blogspot.com/2011/07/my-first-giveaway.html

I'm off to check out your other post where I can buy some goodies :)

Anonymous said...

Those look soooooo yummy! You look great! Congrats on the twins! I am a new follower and am excited to read your blog!
Stephanie
mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

Johnnie said...

Yummy! Stopping by to invite you to link up to Thrifty Thursdays. Blessings!

Johnnie

Unknown said...

You look fantastic...visiting from a link up somehwhere...I am blog hopping and forgot honestly. CUTE blog here!

Marlee said...

These look fantastic, not to mention I never met a cupcake I didn't like! You look gorgeous by the way, and congrats on the twins! Great blog, I'm a new follower!



http://marleeindebt.blogspot.com

Coley said...

MmMmM these look so good! Love your blog and congrats on your twins :)

www.whatyoumakeit-coley.blogspot.com

Six Sisters said...

These seriously look amazing!! I can't wait to try the ones with chocolate filling . . . We just wanted to stop by and thank you for linking up to our first link party last week. We appreciate your support so much! We would love to have you stop by again this week and link up more of your great things at Strut Your Stuff Saturday!
-The Six Sisters
sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com
PS You look INCREDIBLE for being that far along!! You are such a pretty pregnant mom! Good luck with everything!!

Sabrina said...

I love these cupcakes, my husband loves red velvet. You are so ambitious being pregnant and having such a great blog. I would love for you to check out my blog www.poppiesandpinwheels.blogspot.com
I'm your newest follower.

Jenn Erickson said...

I can typically "take or leave" Red Velvet, but your ganache filled Red Velvet creations (with that perfect frosting), I would bet, would be so good I'd "take" two!

Thank you so much for sharing your culinary creativity on "A Little Birdie Told Me..." at Rook No. 17!

Jenn

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your recipe with me at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you will come back tomorrow and share more of your recipes.
Thanks,
I hope to see you there!